Thursday, August 16, 2012

Vintage Wire Shopping Cart Basket

Back in June, Kathy at Kate’s Place shared a vintage shopping cart she purchased at a porch sale for $3 and made the cutest burlap liner for it.  You can read all about Kathy’s cute vintage shopping cart here.  Since then, I had been on the look-out for one.  Well wouldn’t you know it, I have been lucky enough to have found two in the last six weeks.   I wasted no time on the first one I found and made a burlap liner for it.  

025

I printed a graphic from The Graphic Fairy onto fabric and attached it to the front with twine. 

029

This one I’m keeping for myself.

012

I’m using it to house some pillows right now. 

028

But this recent find I will make a burlap liner and offer it for sale at my upcoming fall show.

032

I’ve had a few inquiries about printing on fabric.  I have seen several different methods for printing on fabric but this one has worked for me every time.  I use freezer paper.  First, I cut my fabric and freezer paper the size of the printer paper which is 8 1/2 by 11.  Next, I iron my fabric to get rid of all the wrinkles and then place the freezer paper on top of my fabric with the shiny side down. Then I run a dry iron on medium on top of the freezer paper.  I keep checking to see if the freezer paper has adhered to the fabric and when it has you’re done.  It’s ready for the printer.  I hope I did okay in explaining how to do this….I’m not very good at tutorials! 

As always, thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  Charlie and I are going to an estate sale on Saturday.  Previews are showing a lot of antique items!

Gail

Sharing with: 

Stone Gable for Tutorial Tips and Tidbits

Kristen's Creations for Share Your Creations

French Country Cottage for Feather Nest Friday

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

2805 for Potpourri Friday

33 comments:

  1. Morning Gail! I'm doing a little blog hopping for ideas and your place is always my favorite!! This looks beautiful; perfect finishing touch with the graphic. I think I might have to start looking for one of these carts as well. Off to Michaels shortly for Fall supplies but had to stop and say another GREAT JOB! Enjoy the estate sale - Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having coffee this morning and here you are up and at it already! How lovely this project turned out--I could hop in and live in your blog all day long. Gorgeous project--I want to try the freezer paper idea soon--great tutorial and pretty pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely, Gail! I love how your pillows go with it so well, too. Functional and pretty! I've got my wicker one to work on at some point ~ painting and making a new liner for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Job Gail!! Love This Idea!! Happy Day!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gail, One of my customers just e-mailed me and said she is interested in your extra cart. She (and I) tried to e-mail you but for some reason it's not working. She would love for you to e-mail her about it at reneebmomof3@yahoo.com.

    So glad you joined the party! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your idea! I sewed a muslin liner for a cart for our grandson's room and it was a bugger to fit all those corners! I like your idea better. I also bought a cart like the one you're offering in your shop. I had planned to line it for a toy basket, but found it's quite useful for its intended purpose. Ha! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you tied everything with twine...it adds so much more texture & interest! Such an interesting storage basket now...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I'm lovin' the look of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail that looks so fabulous!! Thanks for the shout out! I was wondering too how you made your print outs. I'm going to try it now that i know what to do.

    Thanks
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it is wonderful. I love the idea of having it for extra pillows!! Lord knows, I have a few of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Gail, I love it! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! This is a great idea. I need one of these in my guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adore your shopping cart and the cute liner and graphic! Thanks for sharing your project at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I want to find some of these!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's adorable. I must find one of my own!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your project turned out great! Don't you just love it when you find something you are looking for? It just adds to the whole "thrill of the hunt" notion. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, Gail! Love the idea of using your cart for pillows.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your pillows and your display with the cart. The burlap liner is the perfect accessory!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another fabulous makeover Gail, I LOVE IT!! Can't wait to see what you do to the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So neat Gail, love the pillows in the one yiu are keeping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now how cute is that!! I heard a rumor you can walk in your shed, can that possibly be true?

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your liner turner out so great! I love old shopping carts! Thanks for stopping by, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Gail! Oh, your basket with the liner you've made looks marvelous! Oh, you're good at the graphic transfers. I've only used the computer transfer paper. I'll have to use your method next time.
    I'm sure the little cart will look wonderful too.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That is gorgeous!! I'm lovin' the no.3 pillow, too, as that's my favorite number!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these carts...been looking for one, too. Hope I find it soon...before I have to have a hissy fit.:))
    Thanks for telling us how to do this. I will try as soon as I get butcher paper. Where in the world do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. i got rid of mine years ago, what was i thinking?????

    found you via the charm of home and hope you'll stop by and follow!

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/08/living-room-new-beginning.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute cart. I'm going to try your freezer paper method. I tried to run a piece of fabric through my printer once and let's just say that it didn't go well. I think I can handle freezer paper though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for joining me at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your ideas, I have my grandmothers basket shopping cart and I think I will make a liner for it, maybe with her name on it (French script of course ).
    Blessings from Ontario, Canada.
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, love this shopping basket. I have an old new like this and it has been on my list to make a liner for. This is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the addition of the graphic, Gail. Your pillows are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi gail..WOw love your blog! found you on 2805 party! am following you now...love the basket! and i am a burlap lover as well! lol what a beautiful blog....i will be back with another cuppa jo soon for a long visit! hugs kat =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW!!! what an amazing post! love it, just followed you, will def be back!

    Jan
    door251.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for stopping by and leaving one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails